Saturday, April 5, 2014

Major-General George B. McClellan to Flag-Officer Louis M. Goldsborough, June 27, 1862

HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE POTOMAC,
June 27, 1862.
Flag-Officer GOLDSBOROUGH:

I desire you will send some light-draught gunboats at once up the Chickahominy as far as possible, and also that you will forthwith instruct the gunboats in the James River to cover the left flank of this army. I should be glad to have the gunboats proceed as far up the river as may be practicable, and hope they may get up as far as the vicinity of New Market.

We have met a severe repulse to-day, having been attacked by greatly superior numbers, and I am obliged to fall back between the Chickahominy and the James River. I look to you to give me all the support you can in covering my flank, as well as in giving protection to my supplies afloat in James River.

GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-general, Commanding.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 11, Part 3 (Serial No. 14), p. 267

No comments: