Monday, May 26, 2014

Brigadier-General Nathan Kimball to Lieutenant-Colonel John A. Rawlins, June 5, 1863

HEADQUARTERS KIMBALL'S PROVISIONAL DIVISION,
Satartia, Miss., June 5, 1863.

COLONEL: I find the enemy in force at Yazoo City. About 6 miles above here are 8.000, at Liverpool. The whole force on this (the Big Black) river is 20,000 infantry and cavalry and twenty-five guns. The force between the Yazoo and Black Rivers is under [W. H. T.] Walker. Johnston's headquarters are still at Canton, where he is massing troops; rumor says 60,000.

My cavalry penetrated to the Big Black River yesterday, and burned the ferries east of this place, but I find it impossible to go farther north on the Big Black as the enemy hold the country in force.

General Mower is occupying Mechanicsburg, and I am doing everything possible to obstruct an advance should one be made by the enemy. Should it be desired to hold this place in such a case, more force will be required and more artillery. Should I not be able to beat or repulse them, I shall hold to the very last.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

 NATHAN KIMBALL,
Brigadier-General, Commanding.
Lieut. Col. JOHN A. RAWLINS,
Assistant Adjutant-Genera1.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 2 (Serial No. 37), p. 387

No comments: