Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Eliza Walter Smith, September 13, 1862

CAMP ON HERNANDO ROAD, NEAR MEMPHIS,
Sept. 13, 1862.
MY DEAR MOTHER:

I have just returned from a long march — an expedition made by our entire brigade with four hundred cavalry and an eight-gun battery, for the purpose of destroying certain important railroad bridges and tressel work, and with the hope of drawing Breckinridge and his forces into a battle. We had considerable skirmishing with guerilla bands, killed ten that we know of, probably more, wounded quite a number, and brought in some eighty or ninety prisoners. We passed through the town or city, as they would call it here, of Hernando; encamped there two nights. We took much property, horses, mules, etc.; but one man killed and a few wounded.

For the past four days, I have spent twenty hours out of each twenty-four in the saddle, and for the past week have not had my coat, boots, or spurs off till this morning.

We are informed since my return that Stanton has resigned and has been succeeded by Halleck. I had hopes of Stanton and that he would recollect me. I shall have to wait now a good while; volunteer colonels will have to stand back for West Point lieutenants. I am in receipt of two New York papers, Herald and Times, for which I am much obliged. There is a good deal of excitement in Memphis at this time. The whole Southwest is ablaze.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 238

No comments: