Thursday, May 1, 2014

Major General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, April 22, 1863

CAMP NEAR FALMOUTH, VA., April 22, 1863.

You don't seem to like my Loyal League letter, or rather you seem to depreciate my writing at all. I could not decline to answer the invitation extended to me, and to decline simply on the ground of public duties would have been refusing to give my views, which undoubtedly was the object of the invitation, as no one could have supposed I could attend. The letter I wrote was carefully worded, to avoid anything like a partisan complexion. I said nothing but what I am willing to stand up to. I am in favor of a vigorous prosecution of the war, and am opposed to any separation of government in what was, is, and should be the, United States. I stated distinctly that I subscribed to the platform because it was national and not partisan. It is impossible to satisfy all parties; the only thing you can do is to give none a reason for claiming you as their own.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 368-9

No comments: