Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Major-General Ulysses S. Grant to Major-General Henry W. Halleck, May 25, 1863

NEAR VICKSBURG, MISS., May 25, 1863.
VIA MEMPHIS, TENN., May 29.
 Maj. Gen. H. W. HALLECK, General-in-Chief:

There is evidence of a force collecting near Big Black River, northeast of here about 30 miles. I have ordered all the force that can be spared from West Tennessee, and communicated with General Banks, asking him to come with all the force he can. I can manage the force in Vicksburg and an attacking force on the rear of 30,000, but may have more to contend against. Vicksburg will have to be reduced by regular siege. My effective force here is about 50,000, and can be increased 10,000 more from my own command.

 U.S. GRANT,
 Major-General, Commanding.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 1 (Serial No. 36), p. 39

No comments: