Monday, June 30, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Eliza Walter Smith, May 25, 1863

Headquarters Second Brigade, Second Div.,
Fifteenth A. C,
Wa1nut Hills, Miss., May 25, 1863.

I wrote you a hurried note yesterday to give you all at home assurance of my safety. I am to-day in receipt of your letters of May [sic] 29th, enclosing one from wife advising of the death of Judge Piatt, and of May 5th, and from Helen of May 10th. I promised you yesterday full details of march and fight, and for convenience (time being precious and opportunity for writing scant), substitute diary of one of my clerks, which gives the main facts, and enclose for reference a map to accompany same, upon which route of army can be traced. At close of diary you will perceive I have been relieved from my command. I send copy of correspondence between General Sherman and myself which ensued upon reception of the order, the only explanation I have to offer. I premise the same by a copy of the order assigning General Lightburn.

I proposed to General Sherman either of three courses, to resign, to ask to be mustered out, or for leave of absence. He declines to entertain either. I have indicated my intention to refuse the command of my regiment. I am not yet ordered to duty, and so the matter stands. Before you receive this letter we shall probably have reduced Vicksburg, or have had another very bloody fight with the enemy in our rear. In the event of a battle my course will be plain; meanwhile I shall remain quiescent as circumstances will admit. Our late engagements have been very bloody, our losses heavy, the enemy must have suffered hugely in killed and wounded. I enclose a sketch of Vicksburg.

In respect to the order for consolidation of regiments, a healing order has been published by the President leaving the enforcement of the same discretionary with corps and department commanders. The generals have declined to permit it to apply to me, so I am held. My services will not be dispensed with till my body becomes useless. I have no option in the matter. Therefore you perceive I am unable to follow your advice if I would. I cannot resign. They will not muster me out. They will not grant me furlough.

Don't give yourself one moment's uneasiness about me. I am proud as the black knight with his visor down. My honor, thank God, is bright; no stain on my flag, though it is rent and torn and well-nigh riddled with balls. I will send on a copy of my official report and will write again very shortly.

The land has been devastated, desolated; the sufferings of the people, particularly the women, are terrible. Ladies in Vicksburg are now living in caves and holes in the ground to protect them from the unceasing fall of shot and shell from our guns. They disobeyed Pemberton's order and would not leave the doomed city. They could not believe we were so near at home. Their soldiers are reduced to one fourth rations.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 297-9

No comments: