Monday, June 9, 2014

General John Bell Hood to General Braxton Bragg, September 22, 1864

PALMETTO, September 22, 1864.
General BRAGG:

I shall, unless Sherman moves south, so soon as I can collect supplies, cross the Chattahoochee River, and form lines of battle near Powder Springs. This will prevent him from using the Dalton railroad and force him to drive me off or move south, when I shall fall upon his rear. I make this move, as Sherman is weaker now than he will be in future, and I as strong as I can expect to be. Would it not be well to move a part of the important machinery [from] Macon to the east of the Oconee River, and do the same at Augusta to the east side [of the] Savannah? If done, it will be important to make the transfer so as not to interfere with the supplies for the armies.

 J. B. HOOD,
General.

SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 39, Part 2 (Serial No. 78), p. 862; John Bell Hood, Advance and Retreat, p. 252-3

No comments: