Thursday, June 5, 2014

John W. H. Underwood to Congressman Howell Cobb, February 2, 1844

Clarksville, Geo., February 2nd, 1844.

My Dear Sir: I hope you are not too deeply engaged with the affairs of this great republic to pass idly by a letter from one of your constituents in the true sense of the word. I am a native Georgian and true American citizen, and feel a deep and abiding interest in the perpetuity of our institutions, and I feel that I hazard nothing when I say that the continual agitation of the abolition question will blow into fragments, aye into dust that cannot be seen, our glorious Union which cost the blood of the best set of men that ever lived or died. It is not the South that alone is interested in this momentous question. The same torch (lit by the abolitionists of the North) that will consume our humble cottages at the South will also cause the northeastern horizon to coruscate with the flames of northern palaces.

Sir, it is no spirit of flattery that I say I felt proud as a Georgian when I read your manly effort in favour of the extension of the 21st rule. For myself, if I was in Congress I would forestall the agitation of the question, if the Members of Congress from the non-slaveholding States will force discussion upon that question. The true course, in my humble opinion, for the Southern Members to pursue would be to shake the dust of the Capitol from their feet and return to the bosom of their families. Come back to us, and we will take such measures as will best defend us from their incendiary proceedings and will convince the sticklers for the right of petition that there is another appeal when life, liberty and property are at stake.

I am as ardently attached to our Union and institutions as any man, but when our Northern brethren, forgetful of the spirit of compromise which resulted in the formation of our Constitution, and regardless of our rights as members of this Union, force issues upon us which were intended by the framers of our government to be buried and closed forever, it is time that we should hold them as we hold the rest of mankind, “enemies in war, in peace friends.” I am opposed to any temporizing on this question; it should be met at the threshold, at the door; the assailants should be met and never suffered to enter the citadel till they walk over our prostrate bodies. What will it avail us at the South for the incendiaries to cease their work after our throats are cut and our houses burned? Sir, the negroes in Georgia are already saying to each other that great men are trying to set them free and will succeed, and many other expressions of similar import. And if the agitation of the subject is continued for three months longer we will be compelled to arm our Militia and shoot down our property in the field. If the thing is not already incurable, tell the agitators we had rather fight them than our own negroes, and that we will do it too. They shall not skulk behind our negro population and thus save themselves; if fighting must be done, we will fight white folks at the North — those who are moving heaven and earth to provoke insurrection at the South. I have expressed myself as I feel, and it is the feeling of the whole South. Please let me hear from you.
_______________

 * John W. H. Underwood was a member of Congress from Georgia, 1859-1861.

SOURCE: Ulrich Bonnell Phillips, Editor, The Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1911, Volume 2: The Correspondence of Robert Toombs, Alexander H. Stephens, and Howell Cobb, p. 54-5

No comments: