Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade’s General Orders, No. 67, June 28, 1863

GENERAL ORDERS, No. 67.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
June 28, 1863.

By direction of the President of the United States, I hereby assume command of the Army of the Potomac.

As a soldier, in obeying this order – an order totally unexpected and unsolicited – I have no promises or pledges to make.

The country looks to this army to relieve it from the devastation and disgrace of a hostile invasion. Whatever fatigues and sacrifices we may be called upon to undergo, let us have in view constantly the magnitude of the interests involved, and let each man determine to do his duty, leaving to an all-controlling Providence the decision of the contest.

It is with just diffidence that I relieve in the command of this army an eminent and accomplished soldier, whose name must ever appear conspicuous in the history of its achievements; but I rely upon the hearty support of my companions in arms to assist me in the discharge of the duties of the important trust which has been confided to me.

 GEO. G. MEADE,
 Major-General, Commanding.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 5; The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 27, Part 3 (Serial No. 45), p. 374

No comments: