Friday, June 27, 2014

Major-General Oliver O. Howard to Major-General George G. Meade, July 1, 1863 – 5 p.m.

HDQRS. ELEVENTH CORPS, ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
July 1, 1863 5 p.m.

GENERAL: General Reynolds attacked the enemy as soon as he arrived, with one division, about 10.45 a.m. He moved to the front of the town, driving in the enemy's advance for about half a mile, when he met with a strong force of A. P. Hill's corps. I pushed on as fast as I could by a parallel road; placed my corps in position on his right. General Reynolds was killed at 11.15 a.m. I assumed command of the two corps, and sent word to Slocum and Sickles to move up. I have fought the enemy from that time till this. The First Corps fell back, when outflanked on its left, to a stronger position, when the Eleventh Corps was ordered back, also to a stronger position.

General Hancock arrived at 4 p.m., and communicated his instructions. I am still holding on at this time.

Slocum is near, but will not come up to assume command.

Respectfully,
 O. O. HOWARD,
 Major-General.
General MEADE.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 55; The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 27, Part 1 (Serial No. 43), p. 696

No comments: