Sunday, July 13, 2014

Abraham Lincoln to Major-General Oliver O. Howard, July 21, 1863

Executive Mansion,
Washington, July 21, 1863.
My dear General Howard:

Your letter of the 18th is received – I was deeply mortified by the escape of Lee across the Potomac, because the substantial destruction of his army would have ended the war, and because I believed, such destruction was perfectly easy – believed that Gen. Meade and his noble army had expended all the skill, and toil, and blood, up to the ripe harvest, and then let the crop go to waste – Perhaps my mortification was partly heightened because I had always believed – making my belief a hobby possibly – that the main rebel army going North of the Potomac, could never return, if well attended to; and because I was so greatly flattered in this belief, by the operations at Gettysburg – A few days having passed, I am now profoundly grateful for what was done, without criticism for what was not done – Gen. Meade has my confidence as a brave and skillful officer, and a true man.

Yours very truly
A. Lincoln

SOURCES: Roy P. Basler, editor, Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln, Volume 6, p. 341; A copy of this letter can be found in The Abraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress; George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 138;

No comments: