Sunday, July 27, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, October 16, 1862

[Bunker Hill, Va., October 16, 1862.]

I am sitting in my tent, about twelve miles from our “war-home,” where you and I spent such a happy winter. The weather is damp, and for the past two days has been rainy and chilly. Yesterday was communion at Mr. Graham's church, and he invited me to be present, but I was prevented from enjoying that privilege. However, I heard an excellent sermon from the Rev. Dr. Stiles.* His text was 1st Timothy, chap, ii., 5th and 6th verses. It was a powerful exposition of the Word of God; and when he came to the word “himself he placed an emphasis upon it, and gave it a force which I had never felt before, and I realized that, truly, the sinner who does not, under Gospel privileges, turn to God deserves the agonies of perdition. The doctor several times, in appealing to the sinner, repeated the 6th verse — “Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.” What more could God do than to give himself a ransom? Dr. Stiles is a great revivalist, and is laboring in a work of grace in General Ewell’s division. It is a glorious thing to be a minister of the Gospel of the Prince of Peace. There is no equal position in this world.

Colonel Blanton Duncan, of Kentucky, has presented me with two fine field or marine glasses. He has apparently taken a special interest in me.
_______________

* Rev. Joseph C. Stiles, D.D., who had been a pastor in Richmond, from which he was called to New York to the Mercer Street Church, of which he was the pastor for some years. At the breaking-out of the war he went South, and cast in his lot with his own people.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 362-3

No comments: