Saturday, July 26, 2014

Major-General William T. Sherman to Major-General John Schofield, October 17, 1864

HDQRS. MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI,
In the Field, Ship's Gap, Ga., October 17, 1864.
General SCHOFIELD:

Your dispatch is received. Hood is not at Deer Head Cove. We occupy Ship's Gap and La Fayette. Hood is moving south, via Summerville, Alpine, and Gadsden. If he enters Tennessee it will be to the left of Huntsville, but I think he has given up all such idea. I want the road repaired to Atlanta, the sick and wounded sent north of the Tennessee, my army recomposed, and I will make the interior of Georgia feel the weight of war. It is folly for me to be moving our armies on the reports of scouts and citizens. We must maintain the offensive. Your first move on Trenton and Valley Head was right; the move to defend Caperton's Ferry is wrong. Notify General Thomas of these my views. We must follow Hood till he is beyond reach of mischief and then resume the offensive.

W. T. SHERMAN,
Major-General, Commanding.

SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 39, Part 2 (Serial No. 79), p. 335; John Bell Hood, Advance and Retreat, p. 264

No comments: