Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Eliza Walter Smith, March 9, 1864

Headquarters First Div., Red River Expedition,
Detachment Seventeenth Army Corps,
Vicksburg, Miss., March 9, 1864.
My Dear Mother:

I have promised myself the pleasure of writing you a long letter, in which I should essay some attempt at description of the expedition from which we have just returned; but scarcely have I taken a long breath ere I find myself ordered upon active and increasing service. I am highly complimented by my commanding generals, and promoted to the command of a division composed of picked men and the very flower of the Seventeenth Army Corps, with instant orders to embark for the Red River. I shall probably report to General Banks and my destination is still South. My trust is delicate and highly responsible, my command magnificent. No hope of home or furlough this summer. I had a vague and latent hope that having served so long and as I believe so faithfully, that opportunity might offer for at least the preferring of a request for leave; but I never yet in this war have seen the time that I could ask a furlough, being always on the march or in the presence of the enemy.

Enclosed please find the rough notes most hastily thrown together from which was blocked out the official report of the expedition. It is doubtful whether you can decipher or make sense of them — certainly more than I can do. It is all I have time to offer you, and with the aid of the map it may serve as some guide. We traversed the entire State of Mississippi from the river to the border due east, driving the enemy at all points. Completely destroyed the railway system of the State and returned leisurely, living for the most part upon the country. It may chance that I have opportunity to write you from the transports, in which case be sure you shall hear from me. Give your earnest prayers for the success of this expedition. It may be the turning-point of my military career. I am standing now on a dizzy height, lofty enough to make a cool head swim. I feel the power within me to rise to the occasion. Confidence is half the battle, but all is with God.

I have met General Sherman frequently upon the march, and to-day saw him for a little while. He is the man for the Southwest. The expression is trite, but he is the Napoleon of the war. In time to come you will revert to some of my former letters and believe that I have written with a prophetic pen.

My sword sash and belt have at last arrived, most costly and elegant. Said, aside from the jewels, to be more elegant than the one presented to General Grant. I wish it was at home to place among the archives. Much too valuable for field service. There are two sashes, Russia leather belt and gold sword-knot, all enclosed in rosewood box, lined with white satin and blue velvet.

There will be a General A. J. Smith in this command, with whom I will be confounded continually. He is my superior officer, an old man, and an old regular army soldier graduate of West Point. I have been with him in battle on three occasions. He is gallant.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 355-6

No comments: