Sunday, August 24, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to Salmon P. Chase, January 11, 1861

Washington, January 11, 1861.

I desire to say, in as few words as possible, that it is the almost universal desire of our true friends here that you should accept the position of Secretary of the Treasury, which it is understood that Mr. Lincoln has tendered to you. We would all like to see you in the Senate. We very well know that you would do great good in this body, but it is vastly important to our party, and, above all, to the country, that we should at the present crisis have the right man at the head of the Treasury. I think I can safely say without any flattery to you, that the general idea among our friends is, that the country will regard the right man in the right place, with you there. Of course, I do not expect or desire to influence you in this matter against your better judgment. I know that you will sacrifice much, by surrendering your place in the Senate for the head of the Treasury, but I beg to assure you that it is my sincere conviction that the safety of the party, and probably of the country, depends upon your being there. Pardon this intrusion.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 133

No comments: