Monday, September 15, 2014

Governor Samuel J. Kirkwood to Abraham Lincoln, October 9, 1861

Executive Office Iowa
October 9. 1861
His Excellency
The President

There is a painful degree of uncertainty among our people in regard to the position of General Fremont and my convictions on that subject are so strong as to induce me to violate the rule I have laid down for myself and give an unasked opinion

I am well satisfied that the removal of Gen Fremont at this time would be as disastrous to our cause in this state as another lost battle in Missouri, unless it can be demonstrated to our people that his conduct has been such as to demand his removal.

Let me entreat that he be sustained with men and means until he shall have shown unmistakeably his unfitness if that time shall ever come. He has the full & complete confidence of our people now and his removal would have a most disheartening effect.

The recent telegraphic rumor that he had been removed spread as much dismay among us as the news of the disaster at Bulls run, and the authorized contradiction of that rumor was received with unbounded satisfaction.

I hope you will pardon the liberty I have taken and believe that nothing but a clear conviction of public duty has led me to address you.

Vy Truly
Samuel J Kirkwood

SOURCE: This letter can be found among The Abraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress.

No comments: