Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Governor Samuel J. Kirkwood to Senator James W. Grimes, February 10, 1862

[February 10, 1862.]

I do not get any reply to my letters to the President in regard to brigading our Iowa regiments and the appointment of additional Brigadiers from this State. I am fully satisfied that this is necessary, that our soldiers may have fair play; and I intend to persist in it till 1 know the thing is done or can't be done. We must look at things as they are. Brigadier-Generals, if not religious men, are yet generally believers in a hereafter to this extent — they think they may hereafter want votes. Now suppose one of our regiments in a brigade, the balance of which are from Illinois under an Illinois Brigadier. He knows our men can not vote for or against him when the war is over, and that the Illinois men can, and we may presume the human nature that exists inside, as well as outside the army and among Brigadiers, as well as others, will lead them to favor those who may hereafter benefit them at the expense of those who can't. And such I am advised is the fact. Our regiments under such circumstances are made the drudges of the brigade, are not properly looked after and cared for, and the credit of what they do is given to others, as at Belmont.

It may be, the President thinks we have not fit men in Iowa. I wish we had better men than we have, but I feel sure Perczel, Dodge and Crocker are better, much better, than men from States who have Brigadiers' commissions now.  *  *  *  It seems to me there might be room made for three Iowa men, and I will guarantee that neither of the men named will believe that his first duty will be to preserve slavery.

There is a man named Brodie, a brigade surgeon, appointed from Detroit, of whom I am continually hearing bad accounts of his brutality and intemperance. Can't you cut his head off?

SOURCES: Henry Warren Lathrop, The Life and Times of Samuel J. Kirkwood, Iowa's War Governor, p. 178

No comments: