Thursday, October 9, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, May 13, 1864 – 8 A. M.

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, 8 A. M., May 13, 1864.

By the blessing of God I am able to announce not only the safety of George1 and myself, but a decided victory over the enemy, he having abandoned last night the position he so tenaciously held yesterday. Eight days of continuous fighting have thus resulted with the loss to the enemy of over thirty guns and eight thousand prisoners. Our losses have been frightful; I do not like to estimate them. Those of the enemy fully as great. Our work is not over, but we have the prestige of success, which is everything, and I trust our final success will be assured. I have not time to write much. God's blessing be with you and the dear children! Pray earnestly for our success.
_______________

1 Son of General Meade.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 195

No comments: