Saturday, November 29, 2014

George William Curtis to Charles Eliot Norton, September 25, 1862

North Shore, 25th September, '62.

My Dear Charles, — I hoped to hear from you, for I knew you would say what I felt.

Coming at this moment, when we were in the gravest peril from Northern treachery, the proclamation clears the air like a northwest wind. We know now exactly where we are. There are now none but slavery and anti-slavery men in the country. The fence is knocked over, and straddling is impossible.

Now, if my friends nominate me for Congress, I shall accept. Success I should like, but I don't count upon it. I should stump the district and sow the seed.

When I think of Wilder Dwight and the brave victims, my joy is very sober. How the country will be filled with mourning as our victory goes on! For victory it must be now. We heard of Bob1 through Dr. Stone. They were both in the thick of the fight and escaped unhurt. You saw the account of our brave Joe. Think of the service these soldiers of less than two years have seen! I saw a banner of Sickles's brigade. It has been in ten battles!
_______________

1 Robert Gould Shaw.

SOURCE: Edward Cary, George William Curtis, p. 158-9

No comments: