Thursday, December 25, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, October 29, 1864

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, October 29, 1864.

I had a conversation with Grant in reference to my letter about Beecher's article, and told him I did not care about his despatches, but desired he would furnish me a few lines for publication, that would set at rest, as far as he was concerned, the wicked and malicious falsehoods which that article contained. This he said he would most cheerfully give me. At the same time I told him that, whilst I did not doubt the good feeling of the President and Secretary for me, yet I was satisfied of the existence of a bitter hostility towards me on the part of certain supporters of the President, and I did not desire to embarrass Mr. Lincoln, nor did I wish to retain command by mere sufferance; and that, unless some measures were taken to satisfy the public and silence the persistent clamor against me, I should prefer being relieved; that I was becoming disheartened, and my usefulness and influence with the army were being impaired. In all successful operations I was ignored, and the moment anything went wrong I was held wholly responsible, and rather than continue in this way, I would prefer retiring, and desired him to say this to the President.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 237-8

No comments: