Monday, December 22, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, October 25, 1864

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, October 25, 1864.

When I last wrote I told you of the fiendish and malicious attack on me in the New York Independent, Henry Ward Beecher's paper. I enclose you the article. I also send you a correspondence I have had with General Grant upon the subject, to whom I appealed for something that would set at rest these idle and malicious reports, based on the presumption I had failed to support him and that he was anxious to get rid of me. His reply, you will perceive, which was made by telegraph, while it expresses sympathy for the injustice acknowledged to be done me, proposes to furnish me with copies of the despatches he has written in which my name has been mentioned.

The number and character of these despatches I am ignorant of; nor do I know whether I would be authorized to publish General Grant's official despatches; but I shall await their receipt before taking any further action. This matter has worried me more than such attacks usually do, because I see no chance for the truth being made public, as it should be. However, I will not make any further comments, but leave these papers to speak for themselves. I wish you to preserve them with the other papers relating to my services

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 236-7

No comments: