Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, November 22, 1864

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, November 22, 1864.

I do not know how the fact of my not voting has reached Philadelphia, or is there considered a matter of importance. One of the Republican agents, formerly an officer in the Reserves, came to see me and desired I would vote at the polls of the regiment where he was going to be. I declined going to his polls, but did not intimate to him whether I was or was not going to vote. It is probable, however, that some zealous partisan has watched to see what I did. I cannot but be flattered that so much importance is attached to my action, particularly as nearly all other general officers, including Grant, did the same — that is, not vote.

I should like to see the article in the British Military Review you refer to. It is some consolation to know that distinguished foreigners think well of you.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 244-5

No comments: