Friday, January 9, 2015

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, November 27, 1864

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, November 27, 1864.

Yesterday I accompanied General Grant on a visit to General Butler's lines and the famous Dutch Gap Canal, which I had never seen. We had a very pleasant day, remaining with Butler till after dark to witness some experiments with the Greek fire, and getting home about 11 P. M.

I send you an extract from the Washington Chronicle, received to-day. It confirms what General Grant told me, and is designed to make people believe that I was already appointed when Sheridan was made. As Forney is closely allied with the powers that be, I take it for granted the above supposition is correct, and that he speaks by authority and for a purpose. I have no objection to this being arranged, so long as the essential point, justice to me, is conceded.

I had a visit this evening from Dr. McEuen who is here to take away his son Charles, who is major of the One Hundred and Ninety-eighth Pennsylvania, and who is now quite sick with fever. The doctor seems in good spirits and not much changed, except being considerable greyer than I used to see him years ago.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 248

No comments: