Monday, February 16, 2015

James Buchanan to Governor Francis W. Pickens, December 18, 1860

washington, December 18, 1860.
My Dear Sir:

From common notoriety, I assume the fact that the State of South Carolina is now deliberating on the question of seceding from the Union. While any hope remains that this may be prevented, or even retarded so long as to allow the people of her sister States an opportunity to manifest their opinion upon the causes which have led to this proceeding, it is my duty to exert all the means in my power to avert so dread a catastrophe.

I have therefore deemed it advisable to send to you the Hon. Caleb Cushing, in whose integrity, ability and prudence I have full confidence, to hold communication with you on my behalf, for the purpose of changing or modifying the contemplated action of the State in the manner I have already suggested.

Commending Mr. Cushing to your kind attention, for his own sake as well as that of the cause, I remain,

Very respectfully,
Your friend,
(Signed.)
james Buchanan.

His Excellency Francis W. Pickens.

SOURCE: Samuel Wylie Crawford, The Genesis of the Civil War: The Story of Sumter, 1860-1861, p. 87

No comments: