Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, April 18, 1865

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, April 18,1865.

Day before yesterday I sent Captain Emory to Richmond to see after his relatives. I have to-day a telegram from him, stating he had reached Richmond and found our friends all well.

I have heard nothing from General Grant since he left here, and am in complete ignorance of what is going to be done with this army. I note what you say about public opinion in Philadelphia and New York, but if you saw the Herald of the 14th, you ought to be satisfied with what is there said of the feeling of the army towards me.1 So long as the soldiers appreciate my services, I am indifferent to the opinion of politicians and newspaper editors.

I see the Radicals are down on Grant for the terms he granted Lee. This I expected, but I trust they are in a miserable minority, and that the country will sustain him.

I send you a copy of an order I published announcing the death of the President. It has been well received. I also enclose a letter from an anonymous friend, which was accompanied by an elegant pair of gauntlets.
_______________

1 For article mentioned, Bee Appendix U.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 273

No comments: