Thursday, March 5, 2015

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, May 12, 1865


Washington, D. C., May 12, 1865.

I reached here last evening in time to pitch camp on the banks of the Potomac. To-day I have been in town at the Department, and waiting to see General Grant, who has been all day before the Committee on the Conduct of the War. I have not yet seen him, so am not able to give you any news. From what I gather, I infer the armies are to be disbanded at once. The review or parade has been talked about, but there appears to be nothing settled, and I rather think it will fall through. I have received your letters up to the one dated the ninth.

We had a delightful march from Richmond; some rain towards the end of the journey, which impeded our progress.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 279

No comments: