Friday, April 3, 2015

Senator Charles Sumner to Abraham Lincoln, November 8, 1862

Boston, 8th November, '62.

My Dear Sir, — I send you Mr. Livermore's Memoir on the employment of slaves and Africans during our Revolution, and call your especial attention to the last half. You will find it learned, thorough and candid.

The author is a conservative Republican, and his paper was read before the Mass. Historical Society, which is one of the most conservative bodies in our country.

I deplore the result in New York. It is worse for our country than the bloodiest disaster on any field of battle. I see only one way to counteract it; and this is by the most unflinching vigor, in the field and in council. Our armies must be pressed forward, and the proclamation must be pressed forward; and the country must be made to feel that there will be no relaxation of any kind, but that all the activities of the country will be yet further aroused.

I am sanguine yet of the final result, although I fear further disaster; but I am sure of two things, first, this grand Republic cannot be broken up and secondly, slavery in this age cannot succeed in building a new Govt. Believe me, my dear sir,

Very faithfully yours,
Charles Sumner.

SOURCES: Proceedings of the Massachusetts Historical Society, Volume 44: April Meeting, 1911, p. 602-3; The original of this letter can be found in the Abraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress.

No comments: