Thursday, June 25, 2015

Francis Lieber to Edward Bates, April 8, 1862

New York, April 8, 1862.

Sorry as I was to see your note of the 5th instead of yourself, I was nevertheless glad to hear once more from you. I agree with you regarding the absolute necessity of having the Mississippi. From the very beginning of the Civil War I have been convinced that the two main problems immediately to be solved were the possession of the whole Mississippi, and the conquest of Virginia and North Carolina. That done, the rest of the military work would soon and naturally follow. When I was lately in the West in search of one of my sons, wounded in the capture of Fort Donelson, I found the spirit of the soldiers excellent. The idea that the Mississippi belongs to them, in the fullest sense of the term, pervaded all, officer and private; and every one seemed fully to rely on General Halleck for the execution of that great work. General Halleck is a man. Why, however, every one asks, can we not keep step with the Western people? It would have been delightful to me to be able to converse with you on some points not belonging to the military portion of the history of this war, but not the less important, perhaps far more important. But it was not to be. Have you observed that I am attacked on the Habeas Corpus topic? Mr. Binney informs me that he is going very shortly to publish his No. II. on the suspension of the Habeas Corpus privilege. Many pamphlets have been published against him. I do not know whether he wishes this to be known, but the pamphlet will soon be out. My son Hamilton lost his left arm at Fort Donelson; and you may have observed that General Halleck has nominated him aid on his staff, with the rank of captain, for distinguished services in the capture of Fort Donelson, in which he was twice wounded. . . .

. . . His bravery is very highly spoken of. Of course his wound is not yet healed, but he does well. I have written to Mr. Childs to send me, if he can, a copy of the article “Lieber” in the forthcoming volume of Dr. Allibone's Dictionary. It contains a pretty full list of my works, for which you inquire in your letter. As soon as I receive it, it will be sent to you. The great question, what is to be done after we shall have taken possession of the revolted portions of our country, must present itself daily more seriously to the mind of the President, and to all his advisers. I have told my friend Charles Sumner that I cannot agree with his first position; there is too much State Rights Doctrine in it for me. But I am far from agreeing with those who seem to think that a revolted State, after such a catastrophe, may Jump back into the old state of things, like that famous old man, you will remember, who

. . . jumped into a bramble bush
And scratched out both his eyes;
And when he saw his eyes were out,
With all his might and main
He jumped into another bush,
And seratched them in again.

SOURCE: Thomas Sergeant Perry, Editor, The Life and Letters of Francis Lieber, p. 326-8

No comments: