Friday, June 26, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, September 4, 1862

Camp Near Washington,
September 4, 1862.
My dear sister:

I received your two last letters yesterday. Just as I had finished my last letter to you we received orders to march to the relief of Pope. We made a forward march, one which for its length and rapidity has not been equalled in this war; in thirty-six hours we made fifty miles, and after a rest of a few hours twenty-five miles more. The army are now around Washington, occupying nearly the same positions they did last winter. The enemy have out-generalled us. Their hearts are in the cause; our men are perfectly indifferent, think of nothing but marauding and plundering, and the officers are worse than the men. The few officers that are disposed to do their duty, from a sense of doing it, are so outnumbered by the vicious that they can do but little. You cannot imagine how perfectly shameless people who are decent when at home become out here. Governors of States, instead of filling up the old regiments, some of which are reduced to two hundred and two hundred and fifty men, organize new regiments for the patronage it gives, and make the most shameless appointments. I am in despair of our seeing a termination of the war till some great change is made. On our part it has been a war of politicians; on theirs it has been one conducted by a despot and carried out by able Generals. I look upon a division as certain; the only question is where the line is to run. No one would have dared to think of this a few weeks since, but it is in the mouths of many now; it is lamentable to look on, but it may come to it. I cannot see when I can come home. I hope some time this winter. I have worked hard and incessantly in bringing up my division, and it is now equal to any in the service, I hope.

With love to all,
Yours affectionately,
J. S.

SOURCES: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 79-81

No comments: