Thursday, July 2, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, April 7, 1863

April 7, 1863.
My dear sister:

I received your letter this morning. I see that the Norfolk Bank has made a dividend; I hope some of the others may do the same. The President and Madam Lincoln are now on a visit in camp. I was invited to dine with them to-day, but declined on account of my eyes, which have troubled and not a little alarmed me for the last four weeks. To-day we had a cavalry review of about twelve thousand men; the mud, snow, and slush was ankle-deep, and in many places much deeper. Tomorrow the infantry will be out, if it does not rain, which is the sincere prayer of not less than fifty thousand people. My corps, with three others, will be out; mine will number twenty thousand men, the others perhaps sixteen thousand men each, which would make a very handsome spectacle, if the going would admit. With love to all,

Your affectionate
J. S.

SOURCES: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 89

No comments: