Friday, August 14, 2015

Francis Lieber to Senator Charles Sumner, April 4, 1865

New York, April 4,1865.

How do you feel now? was the constant question yesterday in the street, in the clubs, in the dwellings of the people, and I cannot help asking you the same question, even though the answer be known to me. I am sure the breaking up of the conspiracy, and settling some sort of order, — in short, the military action, will occupy us fully a year yet. In the mean time the question of admission comes nearer and nearer. Had we adopted the Amendment there would have been little difficulty, I take it. By a State-rebellion the States went out; by State-revolution, against the temporary de facto government, they might come back. But shall Virginia be readmitted “in thirty days,” as is intimated in the papers? A fine thing it would be! Vestigia nulla retrorsum was John Hampden's motto; let it be ours. Not a step backward. No slavery, no plenary pardon to all. It would be the ruin of the country. I very much wish I knew how the President thinks and feels on this subject; Mr. Seward, I suppose, is altogether for eau sucrée.

SOURCE: Thomas Sergeant Perry, Editor, The Life and Letters of Francis Lieber, p. 356-7

No comments: