Thursday, October 22, 2015

Major Wilder Dwight: Monday Morning, November 11, 1861

It is the next morning since I began this letter. I have been having a long talk with General Banks at his headquarters. The General does not seem to know exactly when we move from here, but it is clear that our division will not remain hero for the winter. It is astonishing how this army life philosophizes a man. I think a few years of it would make one “impervious to the storms of outrageous fortune.” Colonel Andrews is in a very pleasant house, and is rapidly getting well. You would be amused to see me drill my battalion. It only shows we never can tell what we can do. When I voted for Abraham Lincoln a year ago, I did not suppose I was electing myself into a damp wheat-field with a regiment on my hands; but that is, apparently, what I voted for. I only wish all the wheat-fields in the neighborhood bore the same harvest.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 141

No comments: