Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Major Wilder Dwight: January 10, 1862

cantonment Hicks, January 10, 1862,
Near Frederick, Maryland.

Napoleon said, “Marlborough, while he gained battles, ruled cabinets and guided statesmen.” I question much if our General, whatever may be the future record of him as a battle-victor, will ever excite the praise of ruling cabinets or statesmen. My impression, which I cannot shake off, is, that McClellan fails to be master of the whole position. . . . . His admirers all say, “Wait till he takes the field. He will whirl and sweep his enemies before him like a storm-king.” I hope so; but meanwhile, in the organizing and preparatory season, whose opportunity is now, his impulse is not as widely or as directly felt as I could wish. This seems a tangible and real defect, whose correction ought to be possible.

It is with such considerations as this that our minds naturally busy themselves at this time. In this seclusion one is apt to get under the influence of moods or rumors, and to exaggerate or create facts; but I seem, to myself, to notice a great want of tone and confidence in the people and in the army. This may not be so. Certainly, however, Congress is as utterly beneath the emergency as possible.

After all the flurry of last Sunday, we are again hopelessly quiet. This is exactly according to my faith, and I am sorry that you should have imagined an anxiety for me, as your last letter indicates. Don't mind the telegraph; you can really judge nothing by it.

You will see, by the date of my letter, that our camp is now changed to a cantonment, by orders from brigade headquarters. The huts and houses have so far outnumbered the tents that this nomenclatorial effort of the General is excusable. Still, we are a camp, in my view, and not a cantonment; though, of course, I date my letter according to the order.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 186-7

No comments: