Saturday, July 30, 2016

Governor Thomas H. Hicks to Brigadier-General Benjamin F. Butler, April 22, 1861

State of Maryland, Executive Chamber, ANNAPOLIS, April 22, 1861

To Brig. Gen’l. B. F. BUTLER

SIR: I am in receipt of your two communications of this date informing me of your intentions to land the men under your command this evening at Annapolis, for the purpose of marching thence to the City of Washington. I content myself with protesting against this movement, which, in view of the excited condition of the people of this State, I cannot but consider an unwise step on the part of the Government. But I must earnestly urge upon you that there shall be no halt made by the troops in this City.

Very Respectfully, Your Obdt. Servant,

THOS. H. HICKs, Gov. of Maryland

SOURCE: Jessie Ames Marshall, Editor, Private and Official Correspondence of Gen. Benjamin F. Butler During the Period of the Civil War, Volume 1: April 1860 – June 1862, p. 26

No comments: