Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Zaccheus Beatty to Abraham Lincoln, February 3, 1860

Republican Office
Knoxville, Ill. Feb. 3d, 1860
Hon. A. Lincoln

Sir – I enclose you an article, written by Davidson, and published in the Monmouth Review of to-day, not knowing that you will receive it from any other source. I suppose the extract is from your Kansas speech; and more, I think it is all right. The only importance I attach to it is, that it is the beginning of some infamous plot, concocted by the Democrats of Illinois and Missouri, intended to defeat your nomination in the Chicago Convention. I may be mistaken – but “forewarned,” &c.

Letters from some of my friends from at Washington, D. C., express strong desires for your nomination, and seek to strengthen the force already committed to your interest.

If Mr. Cameron will be content with the Vice Presidency, many of your friends suppose there will be but little difficulty in forming a ticket – Lincoln and Cameron. Hurrah!

But perhaps I am presuming too much upon the introduction I received to you in Peoria, at the time of your reply to Douglas, and bring this note to a close with my best wishes for your success.

Respectfully Yours,
Z. Beatty

No comments: