Saturday, October 8, 2016

Brigadier-General Benjamin F. Butler to Sarah Hildreth Butler, April 23rd, 1861

ANNAPOLIS, MD., April 23, 1861

DEAR SARAH: I have worked like a horse, slept not two hours a night, have saved the “Old Ironsides” Frigate from the secessionists, and have landed in the Capital of Maryland against the protest of her Government. I am now about to march on Washington as I have telegraphed you. You must not hope to get regular intelligence, as the mails are stopped. I think no man has won more in ten days than I have. We will see, however. Goodbye – kiss the children for me.

BUTLER

SOURCE: Jessie Ames Marshall, Editor, Private and Official Correspondence of Gen. Benjamin F. Butler During the Period of the Civil War, Volume 1: April 1860 – June 1862, p. 32

No comments: