Thursday, January 12, 2017

John Hay to John G. Nicolay, April 10, 1863

[Stono] River, S. C, April 10.

I have written some particulars of my interview with Admiral DuPont which I thought the President should know. Please give it to him, reading it yourself if you care to. I went up into the harbor yesterday. The gray-coated rascals were on both sides, waiting for another attack. A crowd of them were crawling cautiously over the bluff to look at the wreck of the Keokuk which has sunk near the shore. They are very busy throwing up new batteries on Morris Island, and did not fire on us though we were in easy range. While I was gone they published the order making me Voln. A. D. C.

SOURCES: Clara B. Hay, Letters of John Hay and Extracts from Diary, Volume 1, p. 74-5; Michael Burlingame, Editor, At Lincoln’s Side: John Hay’s Civil War Correspondence and Selected Writings, p. 34 where the entire letter appears.

No comments: