Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Speech of Simon Cameron, November 14, 1865

I cannot let this opportunity pass without thanking the African soldiers for the compliment they have paid me, but more than all to thank them for the great service which they have been to their country in this terrible rebellion. I never doubted that the people of African descent would play a great part in this struggle, and I am proud to say that all my anticipations have been more than realized. Your services, offered in the early part of the war, were refused; but when-the struggle became one of life and death, then the country gallantly received you, and thank God you nobly responded and redeemed as you promised. [Applause]. Like all other men, you have your destiny in your hands, and if you continue to conduct yourselves hereafter as in the past, you will have all the rights you ask for, all the rights belonging to human beings. [Applause]. I can truly say again, I thank you, I thank you from my heart for all you have done for your country, and I know the country will hold you in grateful remembrance.

I cannot close without saying that there is at the head of the national government a great man who is able and determined to deal justly with you. I know that with his approval no state that was in rebellion will be allowed to return to the benefits of the Union, without first having a constitutional compact which will prevent slavery in the land for all time to come; which will make all men free and equal before the law; which will prescribe no distinction of color on the witness stand and in the jury box, and which will protect the homes and the domestic relations of all men and women. He will insist, too, on the repudiation of all debts contracted for the support of the rebellion. Remember, when this war began there were four million of slaves in this country unprotected by law. Now all men are made free by the law. Thank God for all this! For He alone has accomplished this work!

SOURCES: Luther Reily Kelker, History of Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, Volume 2, p. 548-9

No comments: