Thursday, February 15, 2018

Major-General William T. Sherman to Major-General Henry W. Halleck, September 17, 1864 – 8 a.m.

ATLANTA, GA., September 17, 1864 — 8 a.m.      
(Received 1.50 a.m. 18th.)
Major-General HALLECK.
Chief of Staff:

My report is done and copied. Many of the subordinate reports are also ready, and I could send them forward to-day, but as I expect a special messenger from General Grant every hour, who will return, I will await his arrival, and avail myself of his return to send on the reports. All well. Troops in fine health, but are unusually anxious about paymasters and the draft. Mr. Stanton tells me the draft will be made on Monday next. If Mr. Lincoln modifies it to the extent of one man, or wavers in its execution, he is gone. Even the army would vote against him. Atlanta is pretty well cleared out of the families, so that source of trouble is disposed of. Now, I will build some strong interior  redoubts, and then, I suppose, for Augusta?

W. T. SHERMAN,    
Major-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 39, Part 2 (Serial No. 78), p. 396

No comments: