Thursday, March 22, 2018

Samuel Gridley Howe to Charles Sumner, November 9, 1846

New York, November 9th, 1846.

My Dear Sumner: — I wrote you from the storm and bustle of New York, while you are in the midst of the storm and bustle of an election. Yet I suppose you have not much bustle, after all, because the old Whigs will have it all their own way.

I have heard the roar of the great Bull of Bashan1 and am breathing freely; if his immense power can make no more impression upon our position, then it is indeed impregnable. “Nobody voted for the war!”2 Roar, Bull of Bashan, roar that lie till the ends of the earth echo it back; it will ever be a lie.

“Why should the Representative of Boston be selected?” Because he was the representative of Boston, and it becomes Boston to be the first to rebuke the wrong doer.

However, it is of no use to talk about all this now. We are beaten, routed, laughed to scorn, — e pur si muove!

I am grieved, deeply grieved about Hillard.3 God bless him, and grant that he may have the same peace of mind and entire self-approval that you and I have. I hope we shall love each other none the less for having disagreed about our political duties.

I have met many Boston gentlemen here, and some old friends. They regret my course; they say I shall be misunderstood by all except my personal friends. I knew that very well before. As for the New Yorkers, they are for the most part heathen. Even Silliman condemns, but still loves us. . . .

I long to see you and to do what I can to comfort you; for I know that you are sorely stricken, and that you have not such means of defence as I have. You are thinner skinned, and you have not a wife and babies, more shame to you!

But I am surrounded by bankers and lawyers. I cannot hear myself write.

Good-by: God bless you.
Ever yours,
S. G. Howe.
_______________

1 Daniel Webster.
2 The Mexican War.
3 George S. Hillard, who followed in the wake of Mr. Winthrop.

SOURCE: Laura E. Richards, Editor, Letters and Journals of Samuel Gridley Howe, Volume 2, p. 253-4

No comments: