Thursday, May 28, 2020

Theodorus Marinus Roest van Limburg to William H. Seward, June 9, 1862

LEGATION OF THE NETHERLANDS,                
Washington, June 9, 1862.
Hon. Mr. SEWARD,
Secretary of State of the United States:

SIR: I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your note of the 7th of this month, in which you do me the honor to say to me, among other things, that you have no objection that I should write to the consul of the Netherlands at New Orleans “that it is the President's expectation that he will resume and continue in the discharge of his official functions until there should be further occasion for him to relinquish them.” I regret, sir, not to be able to accept that formula without submitting it to the judgment of the Government of the King; and I have the honor to renew to you the assurances of my high consideration.

ROEST VAN LIMBURG.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series III, Volume 2 (Serial No. 123), p. 139

No comments: