Monday, October 4, 2010

From McClellan’s Division

HEAD QUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
May 4, 7 p. m.

To Hon. E. M. Stanton

Our cavalry and horse artillery came up with the enemy’s rear guard in their entrenchments about two miles this side of Williamsburgh.  A brisk fight ensued.  Just as my Aid left.  Smith’s Division of Infantry arrived on the ground and I presume carried his front though I have not yet heard.  The enemy’s rear is strong but I have not force enough up there to answer all purposes.  All along the lines their works prove to have been most formidable and I am now fully satisfied of the correctness of the course I have pursued.

The success is brilliant and you may rest assured that its effects will be of the most importance, there shall be no delay in following up the rebels.

The rebels have been guilty of the most murderous and barbarous conduct in placing torpedoes within the works near wells, springs, flagstaffs, magazines, telegraph offices, in carpet bags, barrels of flour, &c.  Fortunately we have not lost many men in this manner.  Some 4 or 5 killed and perhaps a dozen wounded.

I shall make the prisoners remove them at their own peril.

(Signed.)

GEO. B. McCLELLAN
Maj. Gen Commanding.

– Published in The Burlington Weekly Hawk-Eye, Burlington, Iowa, Saturday, May 10, 1862, p. 4


No comments: