Friday, November 5, 2010

The Burnside Expedition

Pres. Lincoln Revisits its Destination.

We learn from excellent authority that during the recent visit of the Finance Committee of our Board of Trade to Washington, an informal visit was paid to President Lincoln, by whom the Committee was received with all of his well known affability and cordiality.  Encouraged by the President’s Open manner, one of the old members of the Committee made bold to attack him on the topic nearest his own heart when the following dialogue ensued:

“Mr. President, I wish you will tell me where the Burnside expedition has gone?”

“Why, don’t you know where they have gone?  I thought everybody knew that.”

“Well sir, it may appear very ignorant in me, but I must confess I don’t know, and that I would like to know, exceedingly.”

“You really surprise me, sir.  The papers have been full of it; everybody has been talking of it, and I did not suppose there was anybody who did not know all about it.  Of course I will tell you if you will promise not to give me your authority.”

The Gentleman promised solemnly.

The President drew his chair close to him, and with his hand carefully interposed between him and the rest of the company, whispered, with mysterious emphasis –

“The Burnside expedition, sir, has gone TO SEA!” – Philadelphia Bulletin

– Published in The Davenport Daily Gazette, Davenport, Iowa, Saturday Morning, February 15, 1862, p. 2

No comments: