Monday, June 9, 2014

Major General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, April 7th, 1862

April 7th.

My precious pet, your sickness gives me great concern; but so live that it, and all your trials, may be sanctified to you, remembering that “our light afflictions, which are but for a moment, work out for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory.” I trust you and all I have in the hands of a kind Providence, knowing that all things work together for the good of His people.

Yesterday was a lovely Sabbath day. Although I had not the privilege of hearing the word of life, yet it felt like a holy Sabbath day, beautiful, serene, and lovely. All it wanted was the church-bell and God's services in the sanctuary to make it complete. . . . Our gallant little army is increasing in numbers, and my prayer is that it may be an army of the living God as well as of its country.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 247-8

No comments: