Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Governor John Letcher

WINCHESTER, February 6, 1862.
His Excellency JOHN LETCHER, Governor of Virginia:

GOVERNOR: Your letter of the 4th instant was received this morning.*

If my retiring from the Army would produce that effect upon our country that you have named in your letter, I of course would not desire to leave the service, and if, upon the receipt of this note, your opinion remains unchanged, you are authorized to withdraw my resignation, unless the Secretary of War desires that it should be accepted. My reasons for resigning were set forth in my letter of the 31st ultimo and my views remain unchanged, and if the Secretary persists in the ruinous policy complained of, I feel that no officer can serve his country better than by making his strongest possible protest against it, which, in my opinion, is done by tendering his resignation, rather than be a willful instrument in prosecuting the war upon a ruinous principle.

I am much obliged to you for requesting that I should be ordered to the Institute.

Very truly, your friend,
 T. J. JACKSON.
_______________

* Not Found.

SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 5 (Serial No. 5), p. 1062-3; Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 234-5

No comments: