Sunday, October 18, 2015

Major-General George B. McClellan to Major-General John A. Dix, September 12, 1861

Head-quarters of the Army of the Potomac,
September 12, 1861

I have telegraphed to you inquiring about heavy guns, and of what calibre you require. As soon as I know your wants I will direct them to be supplied.

The enemy is in heavy force in front of us. I do not think he will dare to attack our works on the other side of the river: if be does he will be routed most disastrously. I do not think he will attempt to cross in from below us; it would be a very difficult operation; and I am scouring that whole region thoroughly; so that, with the aid of the strong naval force in the river, I feel but little apprehension in that quarter. I do think, however, that the enemy may take the desperate alternative of crossing the river above and moving on Baltimore. The Potomac is so closely watched that they cannot cross south of Harper's Ferry without being observed and strongly opposed.

I send to-morrow three more regiments, a battery, and some companies of cavalry to General Stone. If the enemy cross above I will at once move on his flank, and force him either to attack me in a position of my own selection, or else attack his column when least prepared to resist.

The political situation of the rebels may force them to this desperate step. I think that Baltimore can best be covered by increasing the army with which I shall attack him.

SOURCE:  Morgan Dix, Memoirs of John Adams Dix, Volume 2, p. 32

No comments: