Thursday, January 7, 2016

Captain Charles Fessenden Morse: March, 23, 1863

Headquarters Twelfth Army Corps,
March 23, 1863.

I bought me a horse in a very unpremeditated way this afternoon. I was out riding and met a surgeon whom I know; he told me that he was going home for good, that he must sell his horse; I liked the animal's appearance very much, so asked permission to try him. After a short trial I made up my mind that if he would pass muster before our Chief Quartermaster, a great horse man, I would buy him. Colonel Hopkins, Quartermaster, advised me strongly to do so, and pronounced him sound and a very good beast; so after some haggling, I called him mine to the tune of one hundred and twenty-five dollars, saddle and bridle thrown in. I believe I have a very good horse; he's a powerful, great, black fellow, very spirited, and will be handsome with a little care. He was taken from the rebels at the first Bull Run, and is said to have belonged to the Black Horse Cavalry. I've been thinking of buying for some time; it is not very satisfactory riding government horses; it is very hard to get a very good one, and I hate to ride an ordinary beast.

SOURCE: Charles Fessenden Morse, Letters Written During the Civil War, 1861-1865, p. 122-3

No comments: