Sunday, March 13, 2016

Major Wilder Dwight: December 9, 1861

Camp Hicks, December 9, 1861, near Frederick, Maryland.

To sit in one's tent in the sunshine, and look out through the grove upon a lively and contented camp, is very little like war. Such is my afternoon's occupation, or want of occupation. I can hear, too, the music of the Star Spangled Banner, which is just now saluting the flag which has been raised at General Abercrombie's head-quarters near by.

I went into Frederick this morning, and, as I came over the hill which slopes down to the Monocacy Bridge and overlooks the city and valley of Frederick, I could not but enjoy the scene. There lay the city, with its spires and buildings clear in the sunlight; and the whole surrounding valley looked happy with its bright, white farm-houses, and thrifty with its generous barns.

Peace and plenty were in the landscape. Yet, six months ago, both were threatened by the terrorism of Secession, and the growing crops then feared a premature harvesting.

I called, this morning, on the Rev. Mr. –––, a pleasant man. He was cordial and friendly, and wished me to tell Dr. ––– that his present successor at Frederick was true to the flag, and loved his country. The experiences of the past summer have tested his patriotism severely. I also receive this evening by mail a note from Mrs. –––, who is in Baltimore. She writes to ask my intervention to protect her house, which has been occupied for military purposes. I shall do what I can for her, but the plea of necessity is one that knows no law and very little mercy. To-night also brings me what I rejoice in, two letters from you, one from D–––, and a most friendly and agreeable letter from Mr. –––. I could not resist an immediate answer to the latter, it gave me so much pleasure. . . . .

It has been as warm as summer here to-day, — indeed, most uncomfortably so. But, of course, the change must come soon, and winter will frown upon us again.

Tell ––– he is as right as a tract on the slavery question. Keep it back. Say nothing. Let the war continue to be for the grand purpose which first inspired it, and which has united and quickened a whole people. The inevitable consequence must be the death-wound of slavery; hut that is incidental, and must be natural, not forced.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 168-9

No comments: