Saturday, April 23, 2016

Senator Charles Sumner to Brigadier-General Benjamin F. Butler, April 21, 1861

NEw YoRK, Metropolitan Hotel, 21st April, 1861

MY DEAR GENERAL: I am happy that you are where you are, but regret that I am not at Washington to welcome you and yr. troops. Before leaving I proposed to the Secretary of War that you should occupy the Senate Chamber. But my present purpose is to offer to you to the full extent of my power the use of my committee-room, that of For. Relations. You will find a pleasant sofa, which will make an excellent couch for a soldier, and other conveniences, with maps and books on the law of Nations, all at your service.

I assure you that when I return to it I shall have especial satisfaction in knowing that this room has been turned to so good a use. Use it, then, as your own, and believe me, dear General,

Ever faithfully yours,
CHARLES SUMNER

Should there be any question, please show this letter to the officers of the Senate, and I am sure they will do all they can to make you comfortable.

SOURCE: Jessie Ames Marshall, Editor, Private and Official Correspondence of Gen. Benjamin F. Butler During the Period of the Civil War, Volume 1: April 1860 – June 1862, p. 21

No comments: