Thursday, June 16, 2016

Major Wilder Dwight: January 28, 1862

Cantonment Hicks, Near Frederick, January 28, 1862.

If I write you from my experience, I shall have little to tell of a soldier's life. It is one of the disadvantages of this detached duty that it separates one from the life of the regiment. This I could find more disposition to regret, if I saw much life now in the regiment; but, in truth, we are devoting ourselves to keeping warm and dry under every assault of heaven and earth, rain and mud. . . . .

Yesterday we had a new excitement and amusement. Colonel Geary got up a party to Point of Rocks, by special train, in the evening, to witness his private theatricals. We had a gay excursion. A crowded car of young ladies and old generals; off we went at about six o'clock. When we reached Point of Rocks, we emerged from the car; and, amid the clanging, brazen music of the band, piled ourselves into army-wagons, whose sternness was soothed with a little straw. On we went, jolting and laughing, to the camp. There we found an out-door stage, bright with hanging Chinese lanterns; and, in the chilly night, well wrapped up, we shiveringly admired the “Geary Thespian Corps.” Toodles was very well played; and, indeed, the acting was successful. We came back by the cars at midnight. Our moving train at the unusual hour, so near the enemy's lines on the other side of the Potomac, set their signal-lights playing, and, undoubtedly, they failed to explain the activity in Colonel Geary's camp by its true cause. In truth, it is an experience, — an open-air theatrical display in January, within reach of Rebel guns, and in sight of Rebel signal-fires.

General Banks went off to Washington yesterday. Rumor gives him various errands. We only hope that he goes to hear of some movement that he may share or inaugurate. I do not even guess a motive, for my guesses come back on me dishonored so often that I weary of conjecture.

If the history of the volunteer force for this great war of ours shall ever be written, I can certainly give some very amusing episodes of appointments of officers, and their character and capacity. Our Board continues its weeding ruthlessly. To-day, under the terror even of our presence, were two resignations, — one of a colonel.

I enclose for you a very unfair photograph of my friend General Hamilton. It does not do him justice; yet it is, of course, a likeness. Place it in my album, if you please. Colonel Geary promises to exchange with me also, so that I shall have the whole Board in my book.

The association has been such a pleasant one that I shall like to have you keep a souvenir of it. . . . .

To one who believes in omens, as I do, who hails the crescent with a right-shouldered glance, the battle of Mill Spring is something more than a victory. It is an augury, and it fills me with hope.

I am scribbling the close of this letter in the rooms of the Examining Board, interrupted by a chat with General Hamilton.

I give you all joy of Kentucky. Will not father allow his forebodings to be corrected a little? Love to all.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 191-3

No comments: